Welcome to my Blog

This is my travel blog.

13.5.15

Bucharest: Romantic Romania


My first visit to Bucharest was not at all as I expected. Having being invited as a guest writer to the university (translation department), I was keen to find out if the images of the place I had imagined in my head, actually matched the place itself. I found to my pleasure, that Bucharest is an amazing, vibrant, cultural, and unashamedly romantic place.  Yes of course there is an eclectic mix of different architectural styles, including the severe looking communist apartment blocks, but somehow the city has retained an aura of ‘’lost world elegance” despite the neglect  of the recent communist era (1947-1989). 

Once affectionately known as ‘Little Paris’ (early 1900’s) for its extravagant night life, it felt a little more like Vienna to me. The romantic feel of the place was everywhere, from the gorgeous paintings of Nicolae Grigorescu in the National Museum of Art of Romania to the undeniable charm of the Old Town, which has undergone some serious restoration in recent years. As many visitors have said Bucharest has a duality to it. There is the lovely architectural and interesting daytime experience and a much more exuberant night life (choose your nighttime destination carefully).

If you are visiting the capital anytime soon, try not to miss having lunch at the Caru’ cu Bere. Not only for its stunning surroundings and excellent food, but also for the delightful entertainment - which was a quartet of classical musicians and a very lovely young singer on the afternoons I was there. There are also some lovely cafes too, serving some of the most delicious little cakes I have ever eaten. (My favorite was Chocolat, in a side street near the Hilton).

It is worth bearing in mind, that the galleries and museums are generally closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.


National Museum of Romanian History



Caru' cu Bere restaurant 


Street View - Old Town


CEC Palace



Cismigiu Garden



The Stock Exchange Palace


Statue of Mihai Eminescu


Inside the Romanian Athenaeum



Beautiful stairway in the Romanian Athenaeum






1 comment: